Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

No Buy Makeup Challenge Update-Week #1

As I said in my last post, I began a "No Buy Challenge" on January 1st and plan on going until March 31st... I know seems like forever.  I have really been looking at my life from a new perspective lately, for a lot of reasons I think, including how poor my finances have been and I've really been trying to cut back on excessive spending.  Well, while looking at this I have realized just how much money I have spent on makeup over the past year... and if I were to give it a rough guess I would probably guess around $1000. A $1000 dollars. There is no justification for that.  Now, that's not to say that I regret my purchases or that I am not in love with  my makeup, but rather I just cannot be okay with spending money like that on makeup when I'm in default on my student loans and am living with my parents... it's unacceptable.  Another thing I realized whilst surveying my life and specifically my makeup collection. I have so many products that I rarely ever use.... nice products that just get lost in the shuffle as well as products I spent good money on but didn't really love.

And so, all things considered,  I decided that I'm going to commit to not purchasing any make up products for 3 whole months. Last year I attempted a 10 pan challenge and failed epic-ly, it seemed daunting and scary to have to pick products to completely finish.  I also realized that I was rushing through, using more product than I normally would and was reaching for the same products every single day, which is not the point of the challenge that I'm doing this time. This time I want to work on appreciating the things that I have so that I don't find the need to constantly buy more.  I want to experiment with things that I haven't used much of in the past and try out some of the palettes that have been neglected due to having smaller more compact options. I want to really savor the "art" of using all the makeup I've purchased and make it worth it. Who knows, maybe I'll end up continuing it on for longer than 3 months.  But I'm not thinking that way yet.  Just want to be greatful for what I have now.

This week wasn't too hard actually, very surprising since I was in more than one Drugstore in the past 3 days and each time ended up with something in my hands.  But it was pretty easy to talk myself down from there and remember my goals.  I did buy my first Sigma brush, the E25 Blending Brush, with a gift card I recieved from my brother for Christmas.  Considering it wasn't my money, nor was it an actual "makeup product" I didn't feel too guilty, I've been needing to replenish a few of my brushes, my ELF Studio Brushes, though I love them they are starting to fall apart and so I'm slowly going to work on building up my set again but for now it was just that one 10 dollar splurge. Let's see what all the hype is about I guess lol.

Well I hope you are all having a wonderful and blessed 2013 so far!
And if any of you have completed a challenge similar to this one please comment with your tips!
Talk to you soon!
Colie   

No comments:

Post a Comment